Dig, uae4arm and hdf roms
I am starting to configure amiga emulation on my setup (based on Nvidia shield 2017), and I bumped into a number of issues. Some of them where I found workarounds that I will share below, some that seem to need a fix on Dig (or a better doc if there is already a way) :
Let's get started by explaining what I found so far and how I made it :
- What I want to do is have all my amiga games in separate hdf files (which regroup conveniently all disks from a same game) and launch them through Dig, as all my other emulated games.
- I managed to find quite easily the hdf images of the games I wanted, with proper alterations to be launched by uae4arm.
- First problem : they won't launch if you do not use the whdload amiga loader (you can get one here, for example : https://github.com/libretro/libretro-uae/tree/master/whdload), I had a hard time figuring that as it is not very clearly documented
- Second problem : whdload won't work until you add your own bios files INSIDE the hdf file (roughly follow tutorial here : https://forums.libretro.com/t/tuto-how-to-run-hdf-file-on-puae/24693)
- Third problem : you have to setup uae4arm to boot on whdload.hdf as its first hard drive (HDX ID is not important, only boot priority), and add your .hdf game rom as the second hard drive (with lower boot priority).
- And then you can enjoy your game in UAE4ARM
That leads me to the part where I am stuck : getting Dig not to wreck the preconfigured whdload.hdf first drive (and a few other parameters) when it generates its own uaeconfig.uae in dig/emu config/UAE. I tried to put my own emuconfig.uae there, hoping Dig would only add to its preconfigured hard drive, but no luck. I don't know if there is a way to do it with current version of Dig (maybe some emulator parameters in the manage emulators menu ? or some undocumented feature ?).
If this is not possible, can you add a way so we can maybe add a default.uae file in the dig/emu config/UAE folder that would override dig default parameters ?
For reference, here is how the lines are added in the .uae file when handling multiple virtual hard drives. In case you want to add this feature, you will have to first read the lines adding the default drives, then add the one for the game with a proper ID :
hardfile2=rw,DH0:*dig rom path*/*rom name*.hdf,32,1,2,512,0,,uae1
uaehf1=hdf,rw,DH0:*dig rom path*/*rom name*.hdf,32,1,2,512,0,,uae1
Anyway, I hope we can make this work ! I love dig, bought the complete version a few months ago and am 100% happy about it. I have been into emulation for 20+ years now and this is the first time I think we can have a really integrated and working all-purpose frontend ! Thanks